Pakistan's premier first-class tournament, Quaid-e-Azam Trophy, will now follow a PSL-esque drafting process for regions in the upcoming season, the PCB announced on Friday.
Despite protest from the Karachi region during the meeting, the Board of Governors (BoG) went ahead with the implementation of the plan. The newly introduced system will see 10 players out of 22 picked via draft, 10 will be picked in the traditional manner, and two will be brought in from the under-19 level.
The proposal, originally suggested 12 players to be picked through the draft system.
“The system had been integrated to curb nepotism in the selection process of the regions,” Shakil Sheikh, termed by PSL Chairman Najam Sethi to be the architect behind the process, said during a press conference at the PCB Headquarters in Lahore.
“Twelve grounds have been allocated for the Quaid-e-Azam trophy. The renovation work is underway and the grounds will be ready by the end of August. We have developed a SoP that will allocate a certain limit of matches to a particular ground to ensure the quality of the pitches remains up to the mark.”
The reporters were further informed that the regional players will be given one-year-long stipends and will get a 100 percent increase in the salaries. Previously, the PCB handed out stipends in 2011 but they were for six months. The concept was put on the backburner after the change of administration.
Shehryar Khan, in his last press conference as PCB Chairman, told the reporters that the PCB has filed a case against the BCCI in the ICC’s Dispute Resolution Committee.
“The BCCI had asked us to continue the negotiations. But they couldn’t be lingered on due to their unwillingness to honour the MoU. Now we have sued them,” Khan said. PSL Chairman Najam Sethi added: “The PCB has earmarked one million pounds to take on the BCCI.”
While speaking on the upcoming World XI visit to Pakistan for three T20Is, the PCB Chairman informed that the tour was pushed to September 12 from the first week of the month.
“The tour is still happening but it is subject to the provincial government’s security clearance," he said. "Giles Clarke is only waiting for the security clearance so he can prepare the players for the tour.”
Clarke, head of the ICC's Task Force on Pakistan, had floated the idea of World XI's tour of Pakistan after the successful organisation.
The premise behind the tour is to put a halt on Pakistan's isolation and pave way for the return of the international cricket to the country.