Recently Finished
Live Cricket
Upcoming Matches
View All Matches
Home
>
News
>
Smith, Warner & Bancroft to serve complete bans for ball-tampering – Cricket Australia
Ball-tampering saga

Smith, Warner & Bancroft to serve complete bans for ball-tampering – Cricket Australia

Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft will all have to complete their bans for ball-tampering, Cricket Australia said on Tuesday after reviewing a submission by the players' union to reduce the bans.

CA interim chairman Earl Eddings said the board had "determined that it is not appropriate to make any changes to the sanctions handed down to the three players".

Smith and Warner were banned from state and international cricket for 12 months over the ball-tampering incident in South Africa in March, while Bancroft was suspended for nine months.

There had been pressure on Cricket Australia to reinstate them amid a recent poor set of results and the much important series coming up against India.

The scandal, which rocked the sport, had far-reaching consequences in Australia with a clean-out of top executives from CA after a scathing review blamed its "arrogant and controlling" culture as partly contributing to players bending the rules.

The Australian Cricketers' Association submitted an appeal last month, arguing that the blame attributed to CA by the independent review was grounds to have the bans lifted with the trio "punished enough".

But Eddings, who became temporary chairman this month after David Peever was forced out, said the punishment fitted the crime.

"CA maintains that both the length and nature of the sanctions remain an appropriate response in light of the considerable impact on the reputation of Australian cricket, here and abroad," he said.

"Steve, David and Cameron are working hard to demonstrate their commitment to cricket and have our continued support to ensure their pathway to return is as smooth as possible."

Bancroft's ban for attempting to alter the condition of the ball with sandpaper is due to expire on December 29 while Smith and Warner must wait until March 29 to play for Australia again.

The national team has had a poor run of form with some ex-players calling for Smith and Warner to be roped into the side as soon as possible.

Others argued that the players should complete their bans as all three players accepted their sanctions.

Eddings said the talk about reducing the sanctions put unnecessary pressure on the trio.

"We believe the ongoing conversation about reducing the sanctions puts undue pressure on the three players -- all of whom accepted the sanctions earlier this year -- and the Australian men's cricket team," Eddings said.

"As such, the Cricket Australia board doesn't intend to consider further calls for amendments to the sanctions."