The Nottinghamshire batsman was well on course to feature for England until a report in the Guardian revealed he was serving a 21-day ban following a second positive test for recreational drug use.
The England and Wales Cricket Board then responded to the report by announcing that Hales had been withdrawn from all squads.
Hales, 30, is focusing on his stint with the Barbados Tridents in the seventh season of the Caribbean Premier League.
The hard-hitting batsman, speaking after being the first pick in the draft for the T20 competition staged in London on Wednesday, said he still wanted England to win the World Cup despite his absence.
"I'm still a fan and wish all the boys all the best. What we have done over the last few years has been unbelievable," Hales said in an interview broadcast by Sky Sports.
"I will be (keeping an eye on the World Cup). The guys deserve to win it and I'll be sat there watching and cheering."
As for his feelings about his World Cup exile, he simply added: "I'm not here to talk about that."
"I just want to get back playing what I love most and that's cricket," Hales, now a white-ball specialist, said.
"This is such a good opportunity to go and play at a ground where I have such fond memories of – the Kensington Oval – and play in a big tournament in some different conditions.
"I've got a few things to do with the ECB, there's obviously a process to go through and then I start training I guess."