JP Duminy has apologised to South Africa fans after the country's below-par performance in the World Cup.
Faf du Plessis's men have so far managed to beat Afghanistan in their seven group games, meaning it is impossible for them to secure a spot in the semi-finals.
"It's been pretty dismal from our part," said Duminy, who will retire from the ODIs after the World Cup.
"We obviously want to apologise to the public and the South African fans for letting them down.
"You know when you represent your country it is always a proud moment and you understand that you represent 50, 60 million people, that is a proud moment in itself.
"And when you put in performances like that, you know, you in a way almost feel ashamed of that."
Cricket South Africa president Chris Nenzani has promised that ‘heads will roll’ with reports emerging that Ottis Gibson will be in the firing line after the World Cup.
Duminy, who hasn’t played in the last four games, said the players, not the coaches, should take responsibility for their poor run in the tournament.
"It's always a difficult one when they bear the most brunt of our performances," he added, speaking ahead of South Africa's contest against Sri Lanka on Friday.
"The important thing for us is to take responsibility for that and sort of stand up and be man enough to know that you know we have come up short.
"They have given us the support. They have given us all the backing that we need to go out there and put in big performances, but we are the ones that have come up short."