Shaun Marsh has been ruled out of the rest of the tournament with a fractured arm while facing a Pat Cummins delivery.
Australia’s session also saw all-rounder Glenn Maxwell rushed to the hospital after being struck on the forearm off Mitchell Starc’s bowling.
Both players were sent to hospital for scans, with left-hander Marsh subsequently ruled out, although Maxwell has been cleared of any serious damage according to Head Coach Justin Langer.
The ICC’s technical committee approved Peter Handscomb as replacement for Shaun Marsh for the remaining tournament.
Langer said it was ‘shattering news’ for Shaun and the squad as his professionalism had been outstanding throughout the tournament.
"Shaun Marsh has had scans on his right forearm after being struck while practising in the nets at training today," Langer said.
"Unfortunately, the scans have revealed Shaun has suffered a fracture to his forearm which will require surgery.
"This is obviously shattering news for Shaun and the squad. Throughout this tournament, his spirit, professionalism and the way he has competed has been typically outstanding."
"We are right behind Shaun in his recovery and rehabilitation," the former Australia opener added.
Langer said Handscomb had been called up as he had done well on the tours of India and the UAE.
"Pete is a like for like player, in terms of batting in the middle order, and he performed very well for us during our recent tours in India and the UAE."
Meanwhile Langer was hopeful about Maxwell’s fitness: "We are hopeful he will be fit to perform for us on Saturday against South Africa."