Olly Stone has been ruled out of the remainder of the season with a recurrence of a back injury, Warwickshire CCC announced on Friday.
The 25-year-old made his Test debut in England’s first-ever Test against Ireland at Lord’s last month, taking 3 for 29 in a 143-run win.
There had been speculations that Stone could somehow feature in the Ashes against Australia as England have been struck by injuries to James Anderson and Mark Wood.
But Warwickshire CCC, in a statement, said Stone, who returned to action in early July, had suffered a recurrence of the partial stress fracture to his left lower back, which was originally sustained on England's tour of the Caribbean earlier this year.
Paul Farbrace, Warwickshire's sport director and a former England assistant coach, said: "Olly had such a fantastic season in 2018 and looked set to play an important role for England as well as ourselves this summer after making his Test debut just two weeks ago.
"We're obviously gutted to lose him just over a month after returning to senior cricket.
"Being able to bowl consistently at speeds in excess of 90 mph places huge demands on the body and, with Olly's season having ended prematurely, he will now work our medical and strength and conditioning teams to get stronger and fitter than ever," Farbrace added.