Sri Lanka have rejected Pakistan Cricket Board's invitation to tour the country for two Tests and will instead return to Pakistan to participate in three limited-overs games.
The announcement was made on Thursday by Sri Lanka's sports minister Harin Fernando, who said they were not ready to send the team to Pakistan.
"We are not in a position to send the team to Pakistan to play the two Tests, but we will be in Pakistan for about eight days to play the ODIs or the T20 matches," Fernando told reporters in Colombo without specifying the dates for the proposed tour.
Fernando suggested the two Test matches could be played in a neutral venue like the United Arab Emirates (UAE), where Pakistan has regularly held its home series.
The two games are scheduled to be Pakistan's first assignment under the recently inaugurated World Test Championship.
Pakistan has not hosted a Test match ever since the horrific terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan team bus in March 2009 in Lahore.
Fears over the prevailing security situation in the country have thus kept international teams away from touring Pakistan but there has been a growing trend towards the gradual resumption of competitive cricket in recent years.
The forthcoming series will mark the return of international cricket to Pakistan after a one-year hiatus when the West Indies toured the nation in early 2018.
Sri Lanka also previously played a T20 match in Pakistan in October 2017 where Thisara Perera led a depleted squad which was defeated by 36 runs.