AB de Villiers has said that the postponement of the T20 World Cup in Australia this year could affect his chances of making an international comeback.
De Villiers, considered as one of the best players of the generation, retired from all forms of cricket in 2018 but contemplated a comeback for the 50-over World Cup in England last year.
The offer was turned down by the selectors and management as it would have been unfair on the players already in consideration. While playing for the Brisbane Heat in the Big Bash League at the start of this year, he said that he would 'love to play' for South Africa in T20 World Cup. He had also confirmed the talks taking place between him and Mark Boucher, the current head coach of South Africa’s senior men’s side.
"If the tournament is postponed to next year, a whole lot of things will change. At the moment I feel available but at the same time, I don't know how my body will feel then and if I will be fit," he told South Africa’s newspaper Rapport. "If I am 100% as good as I want to be, then I will be available. But if I am not, I won't open myself up to that because I am not the type of person who does things at 80%."
He also stated that if South Africa’s T20 fixtures against West Indies and Sri Lanka go ahead, he would have to be out there to show that he has still got enough.
“I’ll have to do the trials and show (mentor Mark) Boucher I’m even now fantastic enough,” he said. “They really should select me mainly because I’m truly far better than the male next to me.
“I’ve in no way been the form of particular person who felt I should get just what I wished. I simply cannot stroll into the workforce. Like every other participant, I have to operate for my location and have earned it.”
The T20 World Cup is scheduled to be played in Australia from October 18.