Josh Hazlewood has said players are willing to take salary cuts if it helps the sport keep itself alive during the coronavirus pandemic.
Last week, Cricket Australia had said that it would lay off 80 per cent of its staff to meet the financial constraints posted by the COVID-19.
"It probably took me a little bit by surprise. Just through the fact that it's probably happened at a perfect time, I guess, this pandemic, for Cricket Australia," said Hazlewood as quoted by Sydney Morning Herald.
"(The pandemic) happening in March compared to the footy codes, who are really in some trouble heading into their season. I was a bit surprised there but there has to be some impact, no doubt," he continued.
"We're obviously partners in the game and we've always said that. We have ridden the highs and now it's probably time to ride the lows, a little bit," Hazlewood said.
According to the MoU signed between Cricket Australia and Australia Cricketers' Association (ACA), the former must provide the latter with revenue estimates and a contract list by April 30.
"We are no different from any other sport. It just depends how long it hangs around as to how much it is going to affect us, I guess. If it leads into next summer, it will be quite serious," Hazlewood said.
According to Hazlewood, the sooner they come to know about the contracts, the better it will be for the players to plan for the future.
"April 30 is what the players want and it's in the MOU but I guess these are strange times. Anything can happen.
"The ideal (situation) is that they're put out before April 30 and obviously then we will know, financially, what we can get ready for and how much of a percentage is lost and how much of our contracts are affected.
"The sooner we know that, the more we can plan for the next 12 months.”