Recently Finished
Live Cricket
Upcoming Matches
No live scores available
View All Matches
Home
>
News
>
BCB deny receiving ICC directives over Javed Omar's alleged wrongdoing
Corruption Allegations

BCB deny receiving ICC directives over Javed Omar's alleged wrongdoing

The Bangladesh Cricket Board has rejected reports of receiving orders from the International Cricket Council to ban former opener Javed Omar from future sporting events.

A news story claimed that the 43-year-old was under investigation by the ICC for passing on the team's inside information while serving as the manager of Bangladesh during the Women's T20 World Cup earlier this year.

As a result, the ICC had reportedly asked the BCB to keep Omar away from involvement in the board's functioning.

However, these developments have not occurred according to BCB CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury, who stated there was no talk of suspending Omar.

“The first thing which I want to clarify is that we [BCB] have not received any notification from the ICC against Javed recently. Speaking of the ban, I will say he [Javed] is not banned,” Nizamuddin told journalists.

“Ban only comes into question when there is evidence, and if an investigation proves someone guilty. The investigation only takes place if there is a strong complaint," he was quoted as saying by Dhaka Tribune.

"There was no investigation on him [Javed]. We all know that when ICC bans someone or if they find any evidence against a player, coaching staff, or an organizer, it is done through a notice. That has also not happened in Javed’s case."

Omar made his international debut at the age of 19 against India in 1995 and went on to feature in 40 Tests and 59 ODIs for his country.

He retired from competitive cricket following his last first-class appearance in 2011, finishing with a tally of 5,353 runs across 102 games.

Speaking to the media on the matter, Omar emphasized that he had not been contacted by the apex cricket body nor was there any hint towards his supposed termination from ICC events.

“ACU [anti-corruption unit] must have asked me if something had happened. They track the phone so they will for sure know if I had made any dubious communication [during the T20 World Cup]. I spoke to the BCB CEO on Tuesday and he also said there has been no direction from the ICC,” he said.

#Corruption in Cricket#Bangladesh