Recently Finished
Live Cricket
Upcoming Matches
View All Matches
Home
>
News
>
Back injury puts Coulter-Nile's Ashes chances in doubt
The Ashes

Back injury puts Coulter-Nile's Ashes chances in doubt

Australian fast bowler Nathan Coulter-Nile will take a "short break" after suffering a fresh back problem, Cricket Australia said on Friday, probably ruling him out of the coming Ashes series.


Coulter-Nile, 30, has a history of spinal stress fractures and the latest setback appears to end his chances of being a back-up to Australia's pace trio Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins against England.


"Nathan experienced some pain in his back following the two-day tour match against England last week," CA's sports medicine manager Alex Kountouris said.


"Subsequent scans have revealed an early stage aggravation of his old stress fracture.


"Whilst this is a setback, the good news is that it has been picked up early so we are only considering a short break from bowling while we monitor him."


Kountouris said Coulter-Nile will have further scans over the next month to determine when he can return to bowling. The five-Test Ashes series starts on November 23.


Coulter-Nile has yet to play a Test match, but has made 21 one-day and 19 T20 international appearances for Australia.